001.16.1 | Bridge truss (fragment)

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Create a new pair
Bridge truss (fragment)
1937, 20th century
Steel
Gift of American Bridge
001.16.1
This artefact belongs to : © North Vancouver Museum and Archives
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

This section of original steel truss was removed from the original bridge during the replacement of the entire road deck in 2001. It is angled because it was an end piece. It can be seen in situ on the right-hand side of this image. The truss clearly shows the riveting technology used at the time, in which steel plates were fastened together with metal pins. This technology predated steel welding and had long been used to build ships and buildings. The North Vancouver Museum and Archives has two such above-deck portions of truss in its collection, including the one in this picture. These pieces may be the largest surviving parts of the old bridge-deck system. However, it is reported that the former railings of the north viaduct now serve as railings at a Jericho Beach wharf in Vancouver.

  • What

    This is a piece of the Warren truss from the original construction, which had been installed in June of 1938.

  • Where

    This piece is from the south end of the east side of the bridge, right behind the spot where the cable entered its anchor.

  • When

    This piece of truss was removed from the bridge during replacement work on the night of September 29-30, 2001.

  • Who

    Amix Salvage and Sales Ltd. of Surrey, B.C., donated this remnant of truss, which is more than 70 years old. The firm was under contract to remove and scrap old bridge materials.