003.12.8 | Finial

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Create a new pair
Finial
1937, 20th century
Steel
74 x 15 cm
003.12.8
This artefact belongs to : © North Vancouver Museum and Archives
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

Some of the bridge's original, elegant architectural details have been removed over time, including this finial from an original lamp standard. The architects and designers took great care with the aesthetics of the bridge. The towers and its components taper gracefully and feature rhythmic cross-bracing as well as perforated curve braces above the roadway and at the top. The design of the south plaza, north anchor and administration building shows the streamlined detailing of late Art Deco or Art Moderne stylings then popular across the continent. The project turned out so well that three copycat bridges were built including one across Halifax harbour, Nova Scotia. Even the Dominion Bridge Company stated, in its corporate history, that the Lions Gate Bridge "in the opinion of many people is among the continent's most beautiful pieces of bridge engineering."

  • What

    This finial once topped one of the bridge's original lamp standards. The sodium-vapour lamps cast a yellowish light that was more effective in foggy conditions.

  • Where

    The light fixtures were staggered along the length of the bridge to illuminate the roadway.

  • When

    This finial was likely removed during the 1970s renovations by Buckland & Taylor Ltd. An unknown donor brought it to the North Vancouver Museum and Archives.

  • Who

    Partners C. N. Monsarrat and P. L. Pratley designed the architectural details in conjunction with Montreal architect John W. Wood. The administration building and toll booths were by Vancouver architects Palmer & Bow.