14085 | Hilyard Bros. Mill

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Create a new pair
Banner
Hilyard Bros. Mill
1870-1900, 19th century
121 x 105 cm
Gift of Cecelia Jessie Hilyard
14085
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

The Hilyard Brothers Mill was a large Saint John operation that exported most of its products abroad. This is a reproduction of a banner dating from the late 19th century and, it is debatable whether it was more of a company or union object to be paraded through city streets. Saint John workmen had a strong marching tradition dating back to the 1840s, but this alternated between identification with their employers and militant unionism. This dichotomy was sustained until international locals established a strong hold during the early 20th century.

Source : All in a Day's Work: Lumbering in New Brunswick [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)

  • What

    The banner is made of red and cream sateen fabric with a gold fringe.

  • Where

    The Hilyard Brothers Mill was located on Saint John's busy harbour among several other mills and shipyards.

  • When

    The original banner may have been carried in Saint John's first ever Labour Day Parade, on September 3, 1894.

  • Who

    The Hilyard family was made up of prominent 19th century shipbuilders, shop owners and mill operators in Saint John.