19151 | Photograph

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Create a new pair
Photograph
1875, 19th century
15.7 x 19.3 cm
New Brunswick Museum
19151
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

Shipbuilders required two things: a plentiful supply of timber and a coastline suitable for launching ships. New Brunswick had both. Logs were floated downstream to mills on the riverbank or along the coast. Sawmills produced large quantities of square timber and planks, much of which was exported to Britain.

Wooden sailing ships were needed to transport New Brunswick timber to foreign markets. Many shipyards, like this one in Albert County, sprang up to meet the demand. Many of New Brunswick's larger shipyards were self-sufficient operations. They had their own lumberyards, sawmills, steam shops for bending planks, warehouses, blacksmith's forges and workshops.

  • What

    Turner and Dow built at least 10 vessels from 1875 to 1885, almost all of them barques and full-rigged ships, the largest of maritime craft.

  • Where

    The Revolving Light was built at Harvey Bank, Albert County, approximately 75 km south of Moncton.

  • When

    The ship was launched September 15, 1875.

  • Who

    Gaius S. Turner built the Revolving Light with Charles Ferguson Dow, one of the leading master builders of the period.