1953.82 | Dugout canoe

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Create a new pair
Dugout canoe
About 1910, 20th century
563.9 x 118.1 cm
Gift of Charles M. McLaughlin Estate
1953.82
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

Dugout canoes were used in salmon sportfishing on the Restigouche and Miramichi rivers as well as in the commercial salmon fishery above Chatham and Newcastle and along the Bay of Chaleur. In the commercial fishery, they were poled or sculled to netstands set on the shore. Dugouts used in the commercial fishery, such as this one, also tended to be larger than the ones used for sportfishing.

Source : Window on the World: The Rivers of New Brunswick [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)

  • What

    Dugouts of this kind were made from two pine logs hollowed out with an axe or adze.

  • Where

    The dugout canoe was made at Black River on the Miramichi River in central New Brunswick.

  • When

    Fisher Cyrus Loggie purchased the canoe about 1910, then it passed on to Edward J. Russell. Finally, in 1935, it went to the donor, Charles M. McLaughlin.

  • Who

    John MacDonald made this dugout log canoe about 1910.