1959.143.1 | Clock

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Create a new pair
Clock
Daniel O'Leary Warlock (1819 - 1901)
About 1875, 19th century
87 x 39.5 x 11.5 cm
Purchase by Webster Museum Foundation, 1959
1959.143.1
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

Daniel O'Leary "Dol" Warlock (1819-1901) was born in Killarney, County Kerry, and emigrated to Saint John in 1839. His 1848 marriage to Mary Campbell, daughter of John G. Campbell, Barrister at Law and formerly of Ballyshannon, County Donegal, established him as a member of the city's Catholic elite. "A few years after he reached St. John, Mr. Warlock established himself in business as jeweller and watchmaker, and for 56 years carried on his business, being for the greater part of the time on King Street, and for many years at the corner of King and Charlotte." (The Daily Telegraph, July 13, 1901)

This clock was made by Daniel Warlock about 1875.

Source : Out of Ireland [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)

  • What

    Warlock's maker's mark included "DW/NB/" and an image of a lion.

  • Where

    It was after the great fire that Warlock relocated his business to the corner of King and Charlotte streets, an area with several craftsman.

  • When

    On June 20, 1877, Warlock lost his business in the Great Fire of Saint John.

  • Who

    At the advanced age of 80, Warlock repaired the CPR clock in the Saint John Station.