1963.35 | Maggie Chapman

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Create a new pair
Painting
Maggie Chapman
About 1875, 19th century
57 x 86.5 cm
Gift of Elizabeth A. Bedard
1963.35
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

The Maggie Chapman, launched from the yard of William Hickman of Dorchester, New Brunswick, was owned by a number of individuals in the Dorchester area, including Hickman and William Keillor Chapman. The company flag of Hickman & Chapman (H & C) displayed at the fore truck in this ship portrait indicates the corporate relationship.

The Maggie Chapman's career lasted ten years before she was abandoned on a voyage from Philadelphia to Antwerp, Belgium. The painting was produced in the Altona, Germany studio of Peter Christian Holm (1823-1888) and Heinrich Andreas Sophus Petersen (1834-1916).

Source : The Golden Age of Sail [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)

  • What

    The dimensions of the Maggie Chapman were 48.5 metres by 11 metres by 6.2 metres with a tonnage of 779.75.

  • Where

    The painting shows the barque under full sail near Dover, England. Note the castle and the white cliffs in the left background.

  • When

    The Maggie Chapman was built in Dorchester, New Brunswick, in 1868.

  • Who

    The Maggie Chapman portrait is inscribed on the lower right: H. Petersen/P.C. Holm. The double signature may not indicate collaboration on the portrait, but may simply be because the names were always inscribed on works issued by the firm.