1975.54.2 | Chest of drawers

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Create a new pair
Chest of drawers
Lordly, Howe and Company
About 1875, 19th century
197 x 105 x 46 cm
Purchase by Webster Museum Foundation
1975.54.2
This artefact belongs to: © New Brunswick Museum
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

Albert J. Lordly and Jonas Howe produced fine furniture under the name of Lordly, Howe & Co. in Saint John. Lordly's sons later joined the firm, thus establishing a family tradition of cabinetmakers. Born in Nova Scotia, Lordly was living in Fredericton in the 1840s, later relocating to Saint John. Howe, for his part, also came from a distinguished family of craftsmen and for a time operated a business with his brother, John D. Howe. Their parents, John and Jane Howe, had come from Ireland in the 1830s.

The cottage-style furniture produced by Lordly and Howe was noted for its grained finish and hand-painted floral and vine decorations. As evidence of their popularity, examples of their work can be found throughout the St. John River Valley and beyond.

Source : Window on the World: The Rivers of New Brunswick [Web tour], by New Brunswick Museum (see Links)

  • What

    The chest of drawers is made of walnut and pine, with the makers' mark stamped on the back.

  • Where

    The Lordly and Howe factory was located at the end of Union Street, on Courtney Bay in Saint John.

  • When

    The Lordly and Howe partnership began in 1869, thus making this chest one of the partners' earliest pieces.

  • Who

    Albert J. Lordly trained his partner's brother, John D. Howe, who in turn trained Alban Emery, another outstanding New Brunswick cabinetmaker.