1986-64 | Roman Catholic church, convent and priests' residence
Roman Catholic church, convent and priests' residence
9 x 14 cm
Gift of Paul Édouard Bourque
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
The convent at Bouctouche, New Brunswick, was founded in 1880 by Father François-Xavier Joseph Michaud. The architectural style of the building was Second Empire; the chapel, however, was in a neo-gothic style.
The residence was run at first by the nuns of the Charité de Saint-Jean, then by the Sisters of Notre-Dame-du-Sacré-Coeur, who took over in 1924. The latter played a central role in the Acadian education system.
During its existence, the Bouctouche convent saw some 6,000 students pass through its doors; of those, almost 450 obtained their teaching certificate at the convent.
In 1969, the Bouctouche convent closed its doors.
In 1977, after a series of renovations, the doors of this building were thrown open once again, but this time as the home of the Kent Museum.
The order of the Sisters of Charity as well as the nuns of la Charité de Saint-Jean lived and worked in Memramcook, New Brunswick, before moving to the convent at Bouctouche, New Brunswick.
In 1996, the convent of l'Immaculée-Conception was designated a historic site by the province of New Brunswick.
The list of graduates of the convent includes Senator Calixte F. Savoie, Antonine Maillet, Marguerite Michaud and many others.