M979.87.438 | Montreal.-Interior View of Messrs. Savage, Lyman & Co's Jewelry and Silverware Establishment, St. James Street.

 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Creative Commons License
Create a new pair
Print
Montreal.-Interior View of Messrs. Savage, Lyman & Co's Jewelry and Silverware Establishment, St. James Street.
Eugene Haberer
1875, 19th century
Ink on paper - Photolithography
27 x 40 cm
M979.87.438
© McCord Museum
Description
Keywords:  Architecture (8646) , commercial (1771) , Print (10661)
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Tags

lyman (1), swords (1), ulysse nardin (1)
  
Reported 

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

Contemporary illustrations and photographs help us understand how these new stores increased the appeal of consumption and introduced a whole new shopping experience. With a sumptuous decor and pleasing arrangement of a wide variety of goods, a warehouse was like a theatre attracting an elegant crowd. Shoppers took obvious pleasure in visiting salesrooms and showrooms, usually located on the second floor at the top of a grand staircase. It is likely that customers also appreciated the opportunity to see and be seen. Increasingly then, the practical functions of shopping were overlaid by contemplative and symbolic aspects.

  • What

    This engraving from Canadian Illustrated News shows the interior of a Victorian-era warehouse store-the ground floor of Savage, Lyman & Co. on St. James Street.

  • Where

    Today, St. James Street is associated with banking and financial institutions. In the last century, it was also a busy shopping street, with elegant buildings highly sought after by high-end retailers.

  • When

    In the 19th century, Savage, Lyman & Co. was one of the largest jewellery and silverware stores in Canada. For over 50 years, the company sold superb silver imported from the great English firms and placed orders with the most talented silversmiths in Montreal.

  • Who

    In 1875 one of Savage, Lyman & Co.'s employees was Henry Birks (1840-1928). A few years later, he opened his own business, which became Henry Birks & Sons in 1893.