VIEW-2784 | Citadel from harbour, Quebec City, QC, about 1890
Citadel from harbour, Quebec City, QC, about 1890
Wm. Notman & Son
About 1890, 19th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
20 x 25 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Cityscape (3948) , harbour (624) , Photograph (77678) , view (1387)
Keys to History
This area of Quebec City's lower town, located below the Citadel and Cap Diamant, continued to grow despite the major rockslides that claimed numerous lives during the latter half of the 19th century.
Crevasses and cracks in the rock cliff had been reported to the federal government, and the largest cracks had been patched with cement. But these measures were not enough to prevent the landslide of September 1889, the most deadly of all. As this photo shows, safety fences were installed on the rock face; in the 20th century, the most precarious areas were stabilized with metal bolts.
Source : Disasters and Calamities [Web tour], by Nathalie Lampron (see Links)
The Citadel is part of a fortified complex built on the heights of Cap Diamant to protect the city.
The City of Quebec is notable for being on two levels. The upper town is dominated by the fortifications, whereas the lower town grew up around port operations.
The Citadel was built between 1820 and 1830 by the British authorities following an unsuccessful invasion attempt by the Americans in the late 1700s.
Many people lived crowded together on the narrow strip of land between the cliff and the river, where there were houses, wharves, warehouses and businesses.