Window on the World: The Rivers of New Brunswick

IntroductionPrevious 5
Conclusion
1967.20 X16252 W576 1970.10 1975.54.2 XX-2425 1891.2 1951.20 Conclusion
 
The most recent version of the Flash plugin must be installed
Get Flash Player
Create a new pair
Photograph
Capitaine Augustin Landry
About 1890, 19th century
11 x 5.9 cm
XX-2425
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Description
Keywords: 
Select Image (Your image selection is empty)

Tags

  
Reported 

Visitors' comments

Add a comment

Keys to History

New Brunswick's extensive network of waterways and its participation in international trade led many to foreign and exotic locations around the globe. Augustin Landry was born in Pokemouche, New Brunswick, in 1836. The family moved to Shediac in 1856, sailing down from Pokemouche in a barge piloted by Augustin. Three years later, he signed on board a ship owned by David Taylor of Memramcook, carrying cut stones from the Beaumont quarry on the Petitcodiac River to New York.

In 1863, he bought his first schooner, the Lilly, in Richibouctou and began transporting cargo between Prince Edward Island and the mainland. He got his "brevet" or captain's certificate in 1873 in Liverpool, England. By 1894, it was reported that he had sailed around the world many times, although it may have only been twice. He left Shediac in 1892 to settle in Chester, Pennsylvania, where he continued his seafaring career.

  • What

    Capitaine Landry collected several curiosities from his travels, including foreign coins and "a fish with its eggs fished from the Cape of Good Hope".

  • Where

    Capitaine Landry is buried in the Holy Cross Cemetery in Yeadon, near Chester, Pennsylvania.

  • When

    Capitaine Landry's first long voyage was in 1866, aboard the C.Y. Thompson bound for Spain.

  • Who

    Capitaine Landry was the first Acadian to obtain a diploma from the Maritime School in London.