Window on the World: The Rivers of New Brunswick
Capitaine Augustin Landry
About 1890, 19th century
11 x 5.9 cm
This artefact belongs to : © Musée acadien of the Université de Moncton
Keys to History
New Brunswick's extensive network of waterways and its participation in international trade led many to foreign and exotic locations around the globe. Augustin Landry was born in Pokemouche, New Brunswick, in 1836. The family moved to Shediac in 1856, sailing down from Pokemouche in a barge piloted by Augustin. Three years later, he signed on board a ship owned by David Taylor of Memramcook, carrying cut stones from the Beaumont quarry on the Petitcodiac River to New York.
In 1863, he bought his first schooner, the Lilly, in Richibouctou and began transporting cargo between Prince Edward Island and the mainland. He got his "brevet" or captain's certificate in 1873 in Liverpool, England. By 1894, it was reported that he had sailed around the world many times, although it may have only been twice. He left Shediac in 1892 to settle in Chester, Pennsylvania, where he continued his seafaring career.
Capitaine Landry collected several curiosities from his travels, including foreign coins and "a fish with its eggs fished from the Cape of Good Hope".
Capitaine Landry is buried in the Holy Cross Cemetery in Yeadon, near Chester, Pennsylvania.
Capitaine Landry's first long voyage was in 1866, aboard the C.Y. Thompson bound for Spain.
Capitaine Landry was the first Acadian to obtain a diploma from the Maritime School in London.