Window on the World: The Rivers of New Brunswick
Rapid changes in transportation technology during the 20th century changed the commercial and social role of New Brunswick rivers. Lumber camps and log drives continued to exist for a few decades, but gradually disappeared. The riverboat era ended in 1946 when the D.J. Purdy was pulled from service on the St. John River. Railway, automobile, truck and, eventually, air transportation altered communication and transportation links, leaving the waterways to the almost exclusive use of pleasure craft, sportspeople and artists.
Finley, A. Gregg ed. Heritage Furniture. Saint John: New Brunswick Museum, 1976.
Foss, Charles H. Cabinetmakers of the Eastern Seaboard: A Study of Early Canadian Furniture. Toronto: M.F. Feheley Publishers Limited, 1977.
MacBeath, George. New Brunswick's Old Government House: A Pictorial History. Fredericton: New Ireland Press, 1995.
MacBeath, Dr. George and Capt. Donald F. Taylor. Steamboat Days on the St. John 1816-1946. St. Stephen, New Brunswick: Print'N Press, 1982.
Pelletier, Gaby ed. Micmac & Maliseet Decorative Traditions. Saint John: New Brunswick Museum, 1977.
Simpson, Valerie. Women's Attire. New Brunswick Museum, 1977.
Taylor, Captain Donald F. The Early Steamboats of the St. John River. Saint John: New Brunswick Museum, 1980. 66 pages.
Taylor, Captain Donald F. From the Splash of the Paddle-Wheel: True Tales of the Steamboat Era. St. Stephen, New Brunswick: Print'N Press, 1985.
Whitehead, Ruth Holmes. Micmac Quillwork: Micmac Indian Techniques of Porcupine Quill Decoration: 1600-1950. Halifax: Nova Scotia Museum, 1982.