Big Cities, New Horizons
Applied Science class, McGill University, Montreal, QC, composite, 1896
Wm. Notman & Son
1896, 20th century
Silver salts on glass - Gelatin dry plate process
12 x 17 cm
Purchase from Associated Screen News Ltd.
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Art (2774) , composite (312) , Photograph (77678)
Keys to History
At the end of the 19th century, engineers were increasingly university trained. Even though the major inventions linked to electricity, metallurgy or even to industrial chemistry were often made by people who were self-taught, engineers still had to master basic knowledge in physics and chemistry. Besides these notions acquired in the classroom, engineers-in-training learned how to develop professional ties. They also benefited from the prestige of a university diploma, a rather rare honour in those days. It is not surprising that the first attempts to regulate this profession appeared during this period. The Canadian Society of Civil Engineers obtained its charter in 1887. The first provincial law regulating the engineering profession was given assent in Manitoba in 1896. However, the first professional corporations in Canada would only be set up in 1920.
Photographic mosaic of the 1896 graduating class of the McGill University Faculty of Engineering. It is the work of the William Notman and Sons studio and of painter George Horne Russell.
This mosaic belonged to McGill University, located in Montreal. Just as those made for more recent graduating classes, it was undoubtedly hung on the walls of the Faculty of Engineering.
This mosaic shows the 1895-1896 graduating class. In those days, photos such as these helped develop a sense of community spirit among former graduates of institutions of higher learning.
This mosaic shows the graduating class of the applied sciences program of the Faculty of Engineering at McGill University and their professors.