The Marler Family in Quebec by Eric Marler, M.D.
A Survey of Lake Champlain including Lake George, Crown Point and St. John
1776, 18th century
71.4 x 54.7 cm
Gift of Mr. David Ross McCord
© McCord Museum
Keywords: Map (215) , Map (219) , Print (10661)
In 1775, there was a limited network of roads. There was a highway on the north side of the St. Lawrence River leading from Quebec City to Montréal via Three Rivers. On the south side of the St. Lawrence River another road led from Levis, opposite Quebec City, to St. Lambert, opposite Montreal. That road passed through Saint-François-du-Lac at the mouth of the St. Francis River. From there, the Saint Francis River flows southward to Vermont, providing a gateway to New York and colonies to the south.
In 1789, David David, a Montreal trader, began importing wheat from Vermont through Quebec merchant Jean Samuel de Montmollin. In 1790, Jean Samuel de Montmollin of Quebec acquired a lien on substantial property in Vergennes, Vermont (vide infra)
Charlotte Marguerite de Montmollin (1794-1842) was the natural child of Jean Samuel de Montmollin (1765-1810) and perhaps a descendant of Chief Greylock. The Chief's name Wawanolewat means "the one who makes a U-turn on the trail". He was of the Pocumtuck Confederacy who joined the Missisquoi or Mazipskuik Abenaki who lived nomadically on the. Eastern shores of Lake Champlain. He walked with a limp allegedly from an accident with a bear trap. He was allied with the French, the Abenaki being at odds with the Iroquois and their ally the English. Charlotte, the widow of the chief, leased lands in Missisquoi to James Robertson in 1765. Robertson's Lease can be found in the Vermont Historical Society Archives.
Charlotte Marguerite de Montmollin was born in the City of Vergennes, Vermont in January 1794. How her father brought her from Vergennes to Quebec City while she was but a very small child can only be a matter of speculation. Transportations between the two places must have been long and arduous.
On July 28, 1796, before Notary Lelievre, he entered into a most unusual contract. He entrusted Charlotte Marguerite, his natural daughter, aged two years, to Joseph Derome dit Decareau, master butcher, and Dame Marguerlte Bro, the latter's wife, until she should reach the age of 21 years or get married. The Decareaus, husband and wife, were to feed, shelter and maintain Marguerite according to her status and to instruct her in the principles of religion, to send her to school (having regard to her religion) when she was able to speak, and take every possible care of her, and to treat her humanely.
To indemnify and to encourage the Decareau as the contract reads, John Samuel described as Samuel de Montmollin, residing in this city of Quebec, made them a "gratuitous present of the sum of Fifteen Spanish dollars, "once and for all".
John Samuel continued southward, having emigrated from Canada to the United States in 1792, settled a few years later in 1796 in Savannah, Georgia, married Maria Edwards, founded a family and engaged in transatlantic shipping. He died on board ship in 1810 and is buried with a tombstone on the Isle de Goree, Senegal.
Portrait of John Samuel de Montmollin (1765-1810)can be seen at
"In 1790 the following return was made by James Atlee, deputy sheriff, on a writ against Jabez G. Fitch, in favor of John, Frederick, and Samuel De Montmellin, merchants in Quebec: "I attached the following property: one dwelling house, the residence of said Jabez, with the lots numbers 13 and 14 (Methodist Church and Franklin House lots), one storehouse on lot number 8 (where the probate office now is), with two other lots adjoining; one dwelling house, the residence of Spinks, bloomer; one frame barn, two sorrel horses, one eight the other nine years old, with one gray horse seven years old, with two yoke of oxen, three brown and one black, two potash kettles with the house thereto belonging with 1000 bushels of ashes; one forge with every implement necessary for carrying on the same in said forge and apparatus thereto belonging, one coal-house, one blacksmith shop, one dwelling house, the residence of Woodbridge, one grist-mill with all the mill work therein complete, five sawmills with the buildings belonging to the same, one fulling-mill, with the falls, dams, flumes and conveyances thereto belonging; likewise all the lots said buildings stand on, the whole situated in Vergennes, the property of the within named Jabez G. Fitch."
Excerpted and Condensed by the author from: A Short Biography of David Francis de Montmollin by George C. Marler, 1963
The McCord Museum is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currentness of the information contained in the Visitors' Comments section. The contents are displayed in the language in which the comments were created, regardless of the linguistic interface chosen by the viewer. The Museum reserves the right at its sole, absolute and unrestricted discretion, to delete a comment that is judged abusive.